Saturday, May 23, 2009

Look Out Again - Weekly Links Post

Here's a list of what I found interesting this week (I know, I'm going to have to cut it down . . . there's just so much good stuff out there!):

MAKE:
I more like the process of making fabric labels and using the leftover scraps as stickers, found here at Making Chicken Salad.

Same with this method of using packing tape to transfer images at Molly Likes to Draw.

These birds on Craftster are made from your standard plastic Easter eggs and are way cute. (But I save mine from year to year!)

I have actually made these barrettes from Belle and Burger for a niece and ran into problems getting the fabric to stay glued on. I'm glad to see this update to the project. I'll blog about my version one of these days.

These fabric buckets from pippijoe are also very cute.

I'm a sucker for pom-pom flowers like these found at lilyella. Apparently I think the Goose and I will spend a lot of time doing such things someday soon. Molly the Pirate puts similar flowers on a garland here.

Here is a template to make a box that looks like that which french fries come in. At Creating Keepsakes.

While I'm not necessarily crazy about butterflies, the method for punching tin to make these would likely translate well to something I do like. (at Gingerbread Snowflakes)

There's something about these teeny envelopes at Cottage Industrialist that just makes me smile.

As much as I try to control my Google Reader's growth, sometimes I stumble across a blog like A Frugally Old Fashioned Homemaker and I just gotta subscribe. I really liked this post on Busy Kid Kits and this one on making butter. Crazy as it seems even to me, I remain convinced that I'll end up using predominantly raw milk some day.

I love these wrapping embellishment ideas at Homespun Heart.

This homemade jumprope looks fun for a certain Goose in a couple of years, or her cousins. At Zakka Life.

EAT:
Did I say something last week about canning beans? I wonder how long they'd keep . . .

I don't think *I'll* be eating these, and I haven't given Goose hotdogs yet, but I suspect these spaghetti dogs will be served at our house someday.

A while back, I stumbled across a blog detailing among other things, the writer's weight loss journey. A certain sentence has stuck with me since, and as I reread it now, it's actually from a book she read several years ago. Anyway, the quote: "Three-quarters of the world's population goes to bed hungry, and so should you." Read that specific post here, and the top of her side bar has two links to her weight loss and exercise posts. Found this time and last time via Elizabeth Foss.

PRAY:
Jen at Conversion Diary knocks my socks off about once a week. This week, it was a link back to this post about really and truly letting go of fear and trusting God. I don't know why we bother to think we're in charge - and anyway, why would we want to be?

I've been debating whether or not to tell my life story on here because it really isn't all that exciting. But then I want to refer to a certain point in my life and can never remember if I've mentioned it on here. So, when I lived in Colorado, I coordinated a mission in Mexico, and I met occasionally with the bishops to update them on the mission, including Archbishop Charles Chaput from the Archdiocese of Denver. He's a very gifted writer and speaker, and here is text from a speech he recently gave. Amazing stuff.

Here is a post on praying with little ones and what should be expected of them, at Faith & Family Live.

I also bookmarked this post on Faith & Family Live, about defending marriage; specifically how everything ties together with Natural Family Planning, divorce, gay marriage, etc. This is one of those things that quickly becomes a slippery slope once you take a step away from God's design. There's so much to say about it and this isn't the post, but I will note that I have extended family members who are gay and I love the sinner, hate the sin.

I've been reading Stacey at Almost There for a while, and though she doesn't have much time to post, when she does it usually hits me right between the eyes. This week, she blogs about the resurrection of the dead including this link that more fully explains Church teaching.

Three words: toddler at Mass. I don't read Elizabeth Foss regularly, and I occasional stumble across something that sends me back there to catch up.

Annemarie at Through the Narrow Gate posted a beautiful poem that Edgar Allen Poe wrote about the Blessed Mother here.

Over the past year, I have been drawn to a number of bloggers who have written about miscarriages and babies who have not lived long outside the womb. One such blogger is Bethany at Precious Infants, and she recently posted a link to a charm to memorialize an unborn baby.

Along similar lines, I read a blog about baby Faith Hope who was born over 13 weeks ago to a young Canadian woman. Faith has anencephaly, meaning she is missing much of her brain (and the skull and scalp covering it!). Myah had to fight tooth and nail to even have her baby - most doctors there wouldn't even talk about treating Faith once she was born; they couldn't believe Myah would carry her to term. Faith is beginning to have some medical problems - please join me in praying for them.

This is a bit on Church history from Christianity Richly.

Karen Edminston (a fellow Nebraskan!) wrote a post on what her daughter received as a confirmation gift from her godparents. I am the only Catholic godparent to all four of my nieces, so I will definitely tuck this away for later!

FILE AWAY FOR LATER:
Can't remember where I found this (was it you, Kim?), but the Repair Clinic can help you find parts for your appliances so you can fix it yourself (or have a handy Hubs take care of it, that is). Wherever it was that I found it recommended that you do an internet search on your appliance make and model and the problem it's having and see if you can find a fix, then this site will help you find the parts.

I appreciated this article on Dr. Sears' website on coughs and colds. (If you get an error message, click OK and then refresh - should work.) The range of normal is much broader than I might have guessed.

Here are a bunch of canning publications online. I really, really want to get over my fears of canning this year!

Goose isn't quite old enough to help with too many chores, so I'm bookmarking this post for down the road when she's able to do more to help. Also, here is a post on I'm an Organizing Junkie regarding chores with lots of links. And one more at Sunny Side Up.

This site seems to be a great resource regarding mail-order seeds and plants.

Ants have been marching their way through my kitchen (much to my dismay!) so this article is pretty timely. If I could find a Wal-Mart that stocks Borax, I would probably mix up some of that for in the cabinets. (Seriously, Wal-Mart, what is UP with that? Neither of the ones I frequent - 60 miles apart, mind you - have had it the past couple of weeks.)

If God tacked on an extra five hours to today, I'd probably blow it clicking around this learn HTML site. There's a lot I need to learn . . .

I'm not sure I would actually go this far, but this chalkboard fridge is interesting. (Guest post at the kitchn)

Remember when I linked to the post and book on the disappearing bees last week? Here's a way to help, via the Great Sunflower Project. It's for 2010, though.

Goose will probably need to be a bit older for much of these, but since I don't have a DVD player in the car for her, I bet Mom's Minivan can help.

This site has some lovely Christian graphics.

Frugal Farming Family is another new interesting read. This post is on garden pests.

7 comments:

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

What a great list of links! I'm honored to have been included. Thank you for your kind words.

Lori said...

Wow, what a treasure trove you've got here!! Lots of great links. :) I'll be busy all night checking these out. LOL! Thank you so much for linking to my butter post and busy kid kit.
By the way, I absolutely LOVE the cow header on your blog! Cute cute cute!
Thanks again so much!!
Have a great day! I'll be back here for sure. :)

zakkalife said...

Thank you for including my site in such a great link roundup. I really appreciate it.

jessica

frugalfarmfamily said...

Thanks so much for including me in your list of links! I love your blog!

Bethany said...

Thank you for including my baby heart pendant post in your list of links! I am bookmarking this page so I can look at all of the other links soon. There are so many...this post must have taken you a long time to compile!

Laura said...

Wow what a great round up of links, thanks so much for including mine! I look forward to checking out some of the others.

Have a wonderful weekend,
Laura

Molly Anne said...

Thanks for linking!

You cracked me up with your May 25th garden update and how it looks so green but it's mostly weeds - mine is the same way!