Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bits and Pieces

Yesterday was International Midwives Day, so Goose and I paid a visit to the place where our midwives practice. Only one was there, and we got chatted with her. Goose has what I call "white coat syndrome" in that she cries at the doctor's office. And anyplace that she thinks is the doctor's office. Lovely. We dropped off these flowers:

And I'd like to note that this picture was taken one minute before one of them blew off the car. Thankfully they were fine! We also checked out a few parks looking for a place for our regional group of the Nebraska Friends of Midwives to meet. We try to get together a few times a year for meetings and also for activities. Last year, we did a yard sale and a bake sale as part of another yard sale. We found it was a ton of work for not so much return, so I'm not sure what we'll do this year.

After that we made a quick stop at Goodwill. We didn't see too much that caught our eyes, but I did pick up a hat for Goose and a slightly older copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility. I've been wanting to try charting since my cycles returned after Goose was born, and I'm also hoping that this might help her end up with a sibling.

Goose and I also planted the potatoes yesterday evening! Whoo! As we were getting ready, I could NOT find the hoe. I looked everywhere in the garage, and outside, and was really getting worried. I always grouse at Hubs for not putting things back after he uses them, and here I'd lost the hoe. We used to have another one, but I think it might now live at the farm. Finally I called him, and learned that he'd taken this hoe over to the farm, too! Well, at least I didn't leave it out to get stolen.

He recommended I use the post hole digger so I could get the potatoes deep enough. It was my first experience using that device and it worked pretty well. Except that the dirt was a bit muddy, and it wanted to stick. Interestingly, if you try to bonk it together like you think would knock the dirt off, you kind of smash your fingers. I only did that about three times before I figured out that it hurt. Yes, I am a quick learner.

Goose ran around and poked in the dirt while I was working, and helped me water them when we were done. She *really* wanted to play in the mud but I *really* didn't want her clothes to get stained. Maybe after it warms up and she can wear her play clothes shorts outfits . . . It was sprinkling as we finished and full-on raining by the time Goose got in the bathtub. Surprisingly, it didn't rain where Hubs was planting corn.


Today, I have been making riblets. I'll put that in a separate post. Until then, I'll leave you with this picture, which explains why Goose was asleep within 10 or 15 minutes of going down for a nap. And, as I type, she's been napping for about 2 hours 45 minutes. I don't really like her to sleep for so long, but she seems to get short on sleep so easily (more on baby sleep in future posts) and I do want her to catch up. Anyway, I think you can click on the picture to view it larger and see just what all the little one has been up to today. As I viewed it to upload it, I realized that my Tupperware drawer is closed. That's a miracle! Usually it's open, and re-arranged with about half of the contents strewn about. So. I'd better post about riblets and then go pick up! (Update: she's awake. The riblet post will have to wait a bit. I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats!)

5 comments:

Kim said...

I think we have an old, holey plastic swimming pool around that would make a good potato patch. Hmmm, thinking I need to plant some!

I bet your midwives appreciated the cheerful geraniums! They last through the winter if you're careful. They just want to grow!

I've done that thing you did with the post hole digger. Ow!

Kim said...

Meant to comment on your beautiful cat! S/he looks totally unamused at the mess. lol

Lenetta said...

The spotted kitty is Camilla - she'll be introduced in a post one of these days. I got her at the Humane Society in Colorado Springs and she's the biggest fraidy cat ever. She still isn't quite sure about Hubs.

Sarah said...

TCOYF is a fantastic book! I'm thinking of getting it for my sister (who is getting married in August) as, though, they're not Catholic, they'd like to try NFP for health reasons . . . good luck!

Best,
Sarah

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

Those flowers are lovely. But I was totally not expecting the part about one blowing off the car and so I busted out laughing. What can I say, I'm easily amused tonight. Also, as I've been learning how to speed read...I'm skimming through...hitting the part about midwives...about going to see your midwives to give them the flowers...then the "I couldn't find the hoe" part. I had to back up a bit. But in the end, THAT was funny, too. What can I say, I'm easily amused tonight. And, apparently, quite repetitive since I think I already said that once in this comment.