Friday, July 10, 2009

Weekly Link Roundup, Stuffed Head Version

It has now been eight days since I've nursed Goose. The engorgement hasn't been too bad (she was down to once a day) but I'll admit I'm not quite ready. A number of things indicate that it's time, though, so we're foraging ahead into this growing-up business. She hasn't really directly asked for milk, but she was somewhat upset that I moved the glider out of her room. We now snuggle in her reading nook to read books before nap and bedtime.

Of course, cutting out all those antibodies meant that she came home from my parents' with a bit of a cold. It doesn't seem to bother her too much, though I'd love to sit and cuddle and nurse when she gets cranky. She thoughtfully passed it along to me, and I feel awful! Here's hoping it passes quickly.

Fun things I found this week:

Deserving a catagory all its own, Chocolate on My Cranium has a fun post on making a summer activities calendar for boredom busting. There is also a tutorial for sewing the calendar and there are also instructions for making a similar paper calendar. If you need any ideas for activities, check out 50 summer crafts for kids at The Long Thread.

EAT
I love brownies and I don't love hot kitchens. These brownie waffles at Cook with Sara make me want to run out and replace my waffle iron RIGHT NOW. (There was an incident. No details are available.)

LEARN
I am so very awkward with knitting needles that finger knitting might be just the thing for me. (Craftzine)

I'm sorry to admit that I'm one of those who never knows what to say when someone has experienced the loss of a family member, from miscarriage all the way through a loved one who lived a full life. Being far away geographically makes it worse. Extraordinary Moms Network outlines what to put in a comfort box that gives ideas for you to personalize it to the one in need.

I mention Chasing Cheerios a lot, and not too long ago, the author was giving serious thought to shutting it down. You can read about her pictures being posted on another website here, and she recently linked to this site that explains how to disable the right click feature to make it just a bit harder for your photos to be stolen.

MAKE
Goose isn't quite there yet, but I love the look of these rag letters once she gets there. And that gives me time to get them made! (Happy Together)

This outdoor candle chandlier is lovely and looks reasonably easy, too. I'm filing this away for when Hubs builds me a gazebo (likely during our golden years :>)). (Sunset)

Craft Nectar came up with a word game for kindergartners with a pdf instruction file.

Happy surfing, everybody!

4 comments:

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Great links this week! I checked them all out... thanks! I love the 50 summer crafts for kids. Wow!

Heidi Hess Saxton said...

Hi, Lenetta! Thanks for the link to my "Comfort Box" post -- I was so happy to stumble on your wonderful blog! Hope to be back soon!

Blessings, Heidi Saxton at "Extraordinary Moms Network"

Sarah said...

You'll be in my prayers as you are weaning! I think it is almost tougher for the mama's than the little ones! :)

Best,
Sarah

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

Man, it's been forever since I've finger knitted. I don't regular knit, but I do crochet. Won't someone PLEASE teach me to knit!

I can't wait to hear about your waffle iron!

~Shaye