Sunday, July 19, 2009

Amy's Chocolate Pudding Zucchini Muffins

I've been eyeing the recipe Amy posted a while back for chocolate pudding zucchini muffins. As noted, I received a large zucchini this week, and turned it into muffins today.

A couple of quick question, which you veteran zucchini people are going to laugh at, but that's OK: 1) do you peel zucchini before shredding? 2) do you squeeze out the water after shredding? 3) if you use a food processor, what do you do about the end pieces that just won't go through? Today, I peeled, I squeezed, and I minced the leftovers as small as possible and threw them in.

After reading the rave reviews from Amy's house, I decided to do some tweaks from the get-go. I figure if I make them just a bit healthier to begin with, we won't know what we're missing. So here's my version of the recipe:

Lenetta's Tweaks of Amy's
Chocolate Pudding Zucchini Muffins

3 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. cooking oil
1/2 c. applesauce
1 c. sugar (I ran out of white so I used 1/3 c white and 2/3 c brown sugar)
1 package chocolate instant pudding (not sure what the different sizes are - mine was 4 servings)
2 c. grated zucchini
2 tsp. vanilla
3 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon

Beat eggs, oil, sugar, pudding mix, vanilla and zucchini together. Blend dry ingredients and add to zucchini mixture; mix well. Scoop into paper-lined muffin tins. Bake 17-20 minutes at 350°.

I only have two muffin tins so I made 2 dozen muffins. As I put them in the oven, I worried I was going to pull out a running-over-the-sides mess, but they came out fine. I've had one and it's pretty darn good! I'll see what Goose and Hubs say - they have the most say in what recipes get made again around here.

3 comments:

Amy @ Finer Things said...

I have to laugh, because I totally was going to do the applesauce thing when I made them last time... but hadn't yet made my 27 pounds worth of applesauce. :) Will do that next time!

Zucchini: I don't bother peeling it. Hoping there are some vitamins in the skin... and I like the green color... and I'm just lazy that way. :) I do try to get the water out, though. It gets REALLY watery if you have frozen some, when you thaw it you must squeeze the water out.

My pudding box is bigger than the four servings, but I'm not sure the exact size.

So... what did Goose think of them?!

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

Oh just stop it, you. I'm trying to be GOOD and you're not helping. Actually, these sound delightfully delicious and more healthy that most of the desserts I cook. YUM!

~2Shaye

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Ohhh wow, I'm so glad you posted this because I have so much zucchini, and I'm sure Emily would love to try these! Thanks so much!