Friday, July 3, 2009

Organizing Ribbon Scraps


A while back, I came across a photo tour of a very lovely craft studio. Instead of getting the "I wants" and "gimmies" and getting envious of such a crafting room, I just tried to take away the pieces that I could use in my home. My favorite one is using clothespegs to organize ribbon scraps.

The full tutorial of the hows and whys are at the above link (and, if you can keep your envy in check, click on the first link above to the tour of her craft studio) but it's pretty basic to figure out.

I don't have so many ribbon scraps that I need big jars to store mine in, rather I use plastic zip top bags, including the small ones that I bought the ribbon scraps in from Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby. The original poster notes that she can get about five yards of ribbon on a peg and in my experience that makes a pretty fat peg, but it will work. Just take care not to drop the pet as you're winding! (Don't ask how I know, just hang on tight. Especially if the cats are lurking nearby just waiting to get their paws on what you're doing.)

So far, I have found a bag of clothes pegs at a rummage sale, and another one at the little local thrift store. I also have been asking around for them, and I will be following up on one more lead today. Neither our dollar store or the local Wal-Marts that I've checked have them, but the point is that you never know where they'll turn up. Hope this helps someone else stay organized!

For more frugal ideas, visit Life As Mom.

4 comments:

Heather said...

So cute! I have a hanging dowel that I store all my ribbon on a spools, but I never had a way to store all those little bits and pieces. Now I do...only need to find the clothes pins.

Thanks for sharing a great idea. I really enjoy your blog and found you from Heavenly Homemakers tell me about your blog comments. Keep up the great sharing!

Heather

Shalet said...

Great idea! All my ribbons are just tossed in a box!

Happy Frugal Friday!

Lenetta said...

I've seen the dowel idea, Heather - and I really like it, too! This is a bit more . . . stashable? I would like to have a more designated crafting space someday, and I think there will be dowels of ribbon!

Shalet, that's how mine were, too. It just got to be too much of a tangle! Thanks for stopping by!

Kim said...

Such a pretty way to display them! Much nicer than my plastic embroidery floss holders!