Tuesday, April 27, 2010

First Attempt at Soaking Oats

Yesterday, I bought a quart of plain yogurt and used it to make whey, which I then used last night to make a double batch of soaked oats. This morning, I put about half of the oats on a cookie sheet to dehydrate as recommended and used the other half to make baked oatmeal. I adjusted my recipe by omitting the milk and applesauce, and only using two tablespoons of butter. I also cut the brown sugar down to half a cup.

The results on the soaked baked oatmeal? So-so. I actually thought it tasted sort of "raw" even though I baked it for the normal time. I'm thinking that using the dehydrated oats will make a big difference.

KITCHEN TIP:
I used my food processor to break up the clumps of dehydrated oats, and instead of trying to dump them out of the open "jar" (is that the right word?) of the processor, I left the lid on, removing the push-cap-thingie (where *am* I getting all these technical terms today??) and dumping the contents out the spout.

With my food processor, I have to loosen the lid (don't have to remove it entirely) in order to loosen the "jar". After loosening the bottom piece, I tighten the lid back on and remove it from the base. This has helped me avoid a number of spills!

And, to save on dishes, I made three different recipes of the power bar (Larabar knockoffs) from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship's Healthy Snacks to Go eBook. I seriously can't get enough of those things!! I was privileged to help edit it, and oh my stars, I am really enjoying the "fruits" of that labor. I'll be reviewing it soon.

For more kitchen tips, visit Tammy's Recipes.

Please check out my post for the Spring Cleaning Carnival Getting the Food Additives Out! You can link up your posts that have anything to do with food additives (see my post for different suggestions) and I am also giving away two copies of a CD by Jane Hersey of the Feingold Association of the United States called "What are all those funny things in food...and should I eat them?"

2 comments:

Stephanie - My Frugal Lifestyle said...

Thanks for linking back to my blog! You have a great blog here! I can't wait to read more ;)

Stephanie @ My Frugal Lifestyle
www.myfrugallifestyle.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know I've had an epiphany of sorts since I first stumbled upon your website. You'll have to read my lastest post to get the jist of it, but thanks for encouraging me when you didn't even know you were! ::wink::