Saturday, March 27, 2010

About Me, Part 5

When I left off with part four back in October (for heaven's sake!), I had just met a handsome cow farmer in Wal-Mart and he took me on a dinner date. I was head over heels right from the start. Hubs lived about two hours away from me, so we visited each other on weekends. We met in July, and we were engaged the next January, with the wedding set for October.

I quit my job at the end of June or so and moved into the house where we live now. Hubs lived about 10 miles away. My first job here was a part-time position in HR and Training/Development at a nursing home near here. For some reason, there was very little about that job that ended up being a good fit. The straw that broke the camel's back was after I had a conversation with a nurse's aide.

One thing that had been reinforced during orientation was that insurance paperwork was sent out from the corporate offices after the employee had been with the company for a certain amount of time. It came in a plain looking envelope (so as to not attract the attention of would-be identity thieves, I think), and it was stressed to keep an eye out for it and not throw it away, that there was nothing that could be done if it was gone until open enrollment came around again.

You guessed it, the aide tossed her insurance. I told her there wasn't anything that could be done, because I didn't think there was anything that could be done. The interim director called me out on the carpet. I finally realized it didn't make sense to be beating myself up for a job I didn't like. I put my notice in and focused on planning my wedding, which you can read about here.

We had a lovely honeymoon in Colorado and when we returned, I began looking for a new job. I ended up landing an HR job for a local manufacturing plant, working about 25 hours a week. It ended up being a great job, and I really enjoyed working there. The president - my boss - is quite a character. He once told me (mostly jokingly) that he hired me because I was married to a farmer, so he knew I wouldn't be moving away. I told him that I fixed his wagon, because I planned to stay home after having a baby.

I ended up working there for three and a half years and though it was hard work, I enjoyed it for the most part. Of course, all the while, I was learning to be a farm wife, too. Tractors, corn, wheat, cattle, all that. My main interest? The barn cats. And one that Hubs brought home, that we named Nappy.

Next up - being preggo with the Goose and an ice storm that left us without electricity for a week.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Somehow I missed your part 4, so thanks for linking back to it! That IS hilarious about the flower deliveries!!

I can't wait for part 6!