Saturday, December 19, 2009

Link Roundup - No Nap Edition

Chances are decent that I've had a "no nap" edition before, but let me tell you, it's been a bit dicey around here lately. Goose has missed three naps this week, and I can tell she's tired.

Last night, I tried putting her to bed at 7 to help her catch up, and after much wailing and gnashing of teeth and crying (on both sides of the door), she finally honked off around 8:30. I had a brief chat with her at 5:00AM about it not being time to get up yet, and she slept in until about 9:15. I always wake her if she sleeps much past 8 so that she can get a nap in, but upon Hubs's advice, I let her sleep this morning. That means no nap, I'm sure, but it's a crap shoot as to whether she'd take one anyway...

So, let's go on to fun topics, links! (And feel free to commiserate with me in the comments, or leave anecdotal info on how you transitioned your toddler from the crib and/or from naps to "quiet time".)

MAKE
A week or two ago, I linked to a crystallized snowflake at Chasing Cheerios that was VERY pretty. Another commenter linked to an article regarding the toxicity of borax and that it may not be a good idea to let your little one handle it. I did some searching around last night, and found this article at Suite101.com that says Epsom salts will work in place of borax, so I think I'll be adding it to the craft-a-day box I'm giving my nieces for Christmas.

This falls between "make" and "do" since it's easy peasy but I think you'll find it as cute as I do - no-sew blanket with yarn fringe at Craftzine.

I seem to have a thing for crayon rolls and holders (I've linked to several!) but this one from Skip to My Lou is cute cute cute. (I think it's the flower that pushes me over the edge.)

Can't say that I've ever heard the Five Little Snowmen song (Five little bunnies, yes. This is entirely different.) but thanks to Emily and Valerie at Frugal Family Fun Blog, I have an earworm. (anybody want it? :>) The accompanying Five Little Snowmen playset is too cute and too easy - way to go with the sharpie, Valerie! I'd have taken 45 minutes of my life that I'll never get back to embroider some mis-shapen dots. There is a video at the end if you've not heard the song either - my favorite part is at the end where Emily offers to sing it again. Tee hee.

Also falling between "make" and "do" is this long-awaited how to make a napkin doll guest post on Frugal Family Fun Blog by Valerie's hubs, Mark. I'm thinking it'll take a little practice . . . and I can't remember the last time I was at a restaurant with cloth napkins, so I'll have to hit the thrift shop for some if I want to try it any time soon. :>)

Tidy Mom has some homemade sugar scrub recipes that sound delicious. I mean, pampering and heavenly. And delicious. This is the first place I came across it, but a number of bloggers have posted about Domino Sugar's gift ideas section of their website. Sounds like some neat ideas over there.

There is a really pretty snowflake garland tutorial at Curbly. I'll admit I usually skip watching videos (I'd rather read about it) but this was cute enough that I persevered. And it turns out it's really easy.

These snowman candy bars would be quick and easy (and cute) if you wanted to do something special for not a lot of $$$. (@ It's Been A Hard Day's Night)

I'll admit I'm sort of an ADD crafter and shy away from things that take a while - though plenty of my sewing projects have taken place spread out over multiple naptimes, so I don't know what my hangup is. That said, I'm incredibly intrigued by this Handmade Santa Plate and if nothing else, the porcelaine paint pen for ceramics fascinated me - as did the method for getting the writing on the plate. Well done, Just Something I Made, very well done!

This felt flower clip tutorial at A Hoot and a Holler looks like a fun thing to make for my nieces . . . I'm thinking April birthdays, though, 'cause I'm on the verge of getting a bit crafted out for Christmas.

Ordinary Life, Extraordinary God has a fun holiday twist on homemade play dough. I've never thought to scent it with her suggestions - and I'm sure they're yummy!

I'm loving this felty button tree at Scrumdilly-do but I'm not sure I could stand to just let my little one make it - I'd have to make one, too!

There just might be a flock of these felt snowmen from Simply Handmade for a certain sister-in-law this year for Christmas. (So don't click through if you're her!)

I really like this toy storage bag tutorial by The Domestic Notebook - especially the handles! Though I'm thinking I'd tweak it and put gussets in the bottom, kind of like I did in my Halloween treat sack (that I'm still using to carry Goose's stuff to church).

(Edited to add these two:)
Many Little Blessings turned lemons into lemonade with these paint stick Christmas trees and they're right - painting them made all the difference.

These homemade lotion bars from Little House in the Suburbs sound reasonably easy and really cool. Though I'll admit, I'm a sucker for yummy smelling lotion. I'm sure with a bit of experimenting, they'd be easily adapted.

EAT
I'm not sure that Goose is at the age of being impressed by green chicken, but I'd like to give this Slow Cooker Green Pepper Chicken recipe a try, from A Year of Slow Cooking.

Katie from Kitchen Stewardship wrote a guest post on Catholic Mommy Brain on Healthy Holiday Treats, and don't worry, she doesn't tell you to just avoid everything. :>) My favorite part - "try to cut down on the sugar by 1/4 cup at a time until I reach system failure (i.e., the treat no longer tastes like a treat)."

DO
More gift wrapping ideas, from Tip Junkie this time.

Faith & Family Live has a great post on using an Advent jar to help keep your family watching and waiting for Jesus's birth.

I'm pretty sheltered, so I've not seen this new Lego/paper phenomenon. I'm kind of glad, so I could be super impressed by Filth Wizardry's DIY Lego and hole punching card version.

Just Like Martha has an easy tutorial for a recycled magazine Christmas tree. That'd keep some little hands busy for a while!

Katie at Kitchen Stewardship has some great ideas on Decreasing Holiday Disposables.

This lovely tea in honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe is quite an inspiration by Jessica at Shower of Roses. And, baby Rose is here!

READ
Stacey at Almost There has a great summary of why NFP Isn't Just Another Birth Control. (That's "Natural Family Planning" in case you don't know...)

The Unclutterer has a thought-provoking article on Teaching Children to Fight Clutter.

There are tons of use for vinegar around the house, and Trent lists 15 of them at The Simple Dollar.

Happy clicking, and, if I don't see you before, "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!" (that last part is especially directed at my Goose . . .) :>)

6 comments:

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Thanks for linking to my paint stirring stick trees! :)

Anne said...

Thanks for linking to Katie's guest post! She's great. And I loved visiting little Rose too :)

The Notetaker said...

Thanks for linking to my toy bag tutorial. Great round up!

Mrs. Taft said...

Thanks for linking to me :) Also, GREAT roundup, I found some ideas for gifts...I'm doing a craft box for my nephew so I appreciate it!

TidyMom said...

Wow great post of lots of great ideas!!

Thanks for linking up my sugar scrubs!!

~TidyMom

Elisa said...

Hi! I found your blog through Faith & Family. I lived in Omaha, NE for about 10 years! Nice blog...there is so much on here I will have to come back. I'm also a cloth diapering mom.