Thursday, June 10, 2010

Daybook for June 10, 2010

Outside my window... Cloudy and humid. It rained again this morning - just as Goose and I set out for the post office, a mere two block stroll away.

I am thinking... that I really need to get into better shape. My back has been creaking over all the gardening stuff I've been doing.

I am thankful for... a surprise visit from my cousin and her two girls - the same cousin that my mom and I visited right before the last daybook post. We had a great time!

From the learning rooms... Goose is figuring out that someone can tell her to "go ask Mama" and she'll just say "Mama said yes!" Thankfully her fib is immediately exposed because she doesn't actually GO anywhere or pretend to ask. She'll get in trouble for it before long, but for now it cracks me up.

From the kitchen... chicken salad in pita pockets, LOTS of baked (soaked) oatmeal with blueberries and strawberries, chicken and rice (scroll down), baked spaghetti, banana boats, veggies and dip and HEALTHY fruit pizza. Also I turned some leftover chocolate pudding that Goose and my mom made into frozen pudding pops. Yup, they're as good as the store bought ones, and yup, I thought of Bill Cosby as I was eating one. I think that's it...

I am wearing... a Huskers t-shirt and denim capri pants.

I am creating... a DIY sand and water table on the cheap with some help from my dad. I'm already writing the post in my head, and can't wait to share it! (Well, I have to finish the darn thing first, but I'm almost as excited to post about it as I am for Goose to play with it!)

I am pondering... how God gives us what we need, not what we want. And what a blessing that is. Also, I have had a couple of days where I didn't turn my computer on for several hours and/or didn't spend much time on it, and it was nice. I obviously survived.

I am reading... The Maker's Diet. A lot of food for thought there. I also read Practical Homesteading by John Vivian. As I've mentioned before, we farm conventionally, not organically. But I am interested in becoming more self-sufficient and I found a LOT of great information in that book.

I am hoping... that we might get to go camping this weekend. It rained some this morning, but not sure if it was enough for Hubs to not have to work so much.

I am hearing... the dehumidifier. We have a leak in our basement, but it is strangely not clear where the water is actually getting in.

Around the house... something I'm pondering - I couldn't believe how little time it took me to get the house picked up for my cousin's visit. OK, it was like an hour and a half to two hours, but it looked pretty good, I thought. Why don't I do that more often?

One of my favorite things... Goose's insistence that her papa give her a kiss and a hug whenever he leaves.

A few plans for the rest of the week... proofreading work tomorrow, possibly camping, possibly going to a garage sale otherwise, Bible "study" (we're reading a book this summer, actually), my brother's and sister-in-law's birthdays.

A picture thought I am sharing... Me, Goose, my beautiful cousin, and her sweet girls.

3 comments:

Angela said...

We have The Makers Diet book, it's been SO long since I've read it, though, I don't really remember much from it.

I can't wait to read all about your sand and water table!! I've been all googly eyes for a water table every time I see one in the store since last summer.

Heather said...

Oh, now you show us that you have a porch swing too...so jealous! (of that and the big gardens) The picture is great, you all look so happy! I'm so looking forward to when my sister brings her kiddos to visit ours this summer.

Why can't this baby make an appearance while my parents are here? Still waiting...

Heather

Kim said...

Y'all look more like sisters!

How funny about Goose's new discovery! Our kids know which parent to ask first and who'll more likely say yes. They're so smart.