Thursday, June 17, 2010

7 Quick Takes - Cooking Edition


It's been a while since I have participated in 7 Quick Takes hosted by Conversion Diary. I've been spending a lot of time in the kitchen lately...

1.
Bread Machine Fail.
Subtitled "what happens when you forget to snap the pan in the bread machine so it can knead properly AND when you mess up setting the delay timer."

2.
What the cinnamon rolls were supposed to look like (and the next attempt did):
You can't see the bottom, but there was butter and brown sugar that melted and gooped together into something wonderful. (Well, it wasn't exactly brown sugar - I ran out and used white sugar and molasses, but didn't bother to check the proportions, so it was a bit...strong. But still good!)

3.
Did I mention my dad and I picked strawberries at a patch belonging to the family who sits next to us at Mass?

4.
I love doing things that aren't necessarily hands-on, but once you're finished, you feel like you've accomplished a ton. Pictured here: soaking oats, soaking nuts, beans in the crockpot.
I am almost out of oatmeal, so I made a small batch. I'm thinking of ordering again from Azure Standard and getting 25 pounds or so - the price is MUCH better than what I can get at Wal-Mart.

5.
Goose isn't a fan of the grain mill or the food processor as she thinks they're too noisy. I wanted to get a picture of what she did when I ground flour the other day, but she popped up as soon as she saw the camera.
Initially, all I could see was a pair of eyes peeping over the back of the couch. Once I shut the mill off, she always asks several times "all done, Mama? All done grinding wheat? All done, Mama?"

6.
I got Goose's jar of miscellaneous beans out yesterday for her to play with, and wondered why I don't do that more often. Well, this is why:

7.
My friend Katie at Kitchen Stewardship is giving away an Excalibur dehydrator. Go check it out!

1 comment:

Amy @ Finer Things said...

Jealous of your strawberry picking!