Saturday, September 19, 2009

Weekly Link Roundup, Ouch Edition

So Hubs, the Goose, and I went to a big farm expo thing this week. The displays cover an area that is probably the size of our little town plus half again bigger. That's a whole lot of tractors to look at! Since it usually rains at least once during the three-day event, the roads were made with a big crest in the middle and slope rather steeply down each side, so pushing a stroller takes a bit of work! Not to mention some areas are gravel and/or rock.

I didn't realize it until I woke up yesterday morning that my abs are SORE - and Hubs pushed the stroller about half the time, too. I know, it's good for me, but even rolling over in bed makes me wince still.

Lots o' link love this week!

MAKE
Do you have a Very Hungry Caterpillar lover at your house? Check out these Egg Carton Caterpillars at Skip to My Lou.

This Old Dresser Drawers = New Bookshelf post at Proverbs 31 Living is great! What an awesome way to find new use for an old thing.

The Object Project has a cute teacup flower series that is way cute! Scroll down to the bottom to see how to make the flowers, then scroll back up to see how they are used.

Something that you never knew you really needed until you saw it: DIY wooden wax seal at Rage Haus. There are some good tips in the comments, too.

I'm a big fan of duvet covers, but it can be hard to find one on the cheap when you actually need one. Sew4Home has instructions on making a ribbon edged duvet cover though I don't think they are terribly clear after a quick read. I'm thinking the idea would translate pretty easily, though.

Smallville Diary has a tutorial on how to make a simple bow. They're a nice size for a certain little Goose . . .

Calico has a great scrunchie tutorial. I have always considered myself an 80s child, but I have to admit I don't get the twisty bead reference. I might not have been cool enough.

There is a very detailed kid's chef hat tutorial at CurlyPops. It may be a bit advanced for me right now, but maybe by the time Goose is ready to do her own cooking show, I'll be more confident in my sewing.

The possibilities are endless for this rubber stamp roller at Just Something I Made. The post shows a pennant design, but it would translate to anything you could come up with!

Here's a technique you didn't know you needed to know until now: How To Make Scratch-Off Lottery Tickets at ArtMind. How cool is that?!?

DO
This is my current favorite post EVER: Katie at Kitchen Stewardship is talking about Natural Cleaners, specifically vinegar, peroxide, and baking soda. I didn't know that when you spray vinegar and then peroxide and let them dry, the combination is MORE effective than bleach - but far less toxic and/or dangerous!

EAT
I'm intrigued by this Corn Cob Jelly Recipe at Cents to Get Debt Free. What especially caught my eye was that it "tastes like honey" but then I realized one needs to use a lot of white sugar to get that effect. :>)

I was fascinated by this post at Farm Home Life that Green Beans Can Be Dried Beans, Too! I mentioned this to Lori, and learned the concept is old hat for her. Maybe a post on this, Lori? :>)

My dad brought me some apples, and I've already made some sauce but I'm thinking hard about halving or quartering this apple pie in a jar recipe at Allrecipes.com. I saw it somewhere else first, but wanted to see the reviews. They're all pretty good!

THINK
I've said before that Jen at Conversion Diary usually hits me between the eyes about once a week. This week, it was Of Cat Ownership and Little Sins. I was hoping she'd tell me how to find holiness in the hurking, but there is a much bigger lesson to be learned.

I loved this article on The Weeping Madonna of Akita by Sarah Reinhard at Faith & Family Live. My favorite part, the part that stopped me in my tracks:
Mary had a reason for her weeping, a purpose. She was weeping for me, for the potential that I’m not using, for the graces I’m ignoring. She was weeping for the wounds I inflict on her Son every day, when I’m rushed and mean, when I’m crucifying Him all over again with my lack of charity.
This is something I need to be reminded of every day.

Best news I've heard all week: In Brazil, where the abortion rate is breathtakingly high, pregnant women are being given the chance to hold life-sized models of their unborn babies, thanks to an invention that converts data from ultrasound and MRI scans. Let me be the first to say that I am not a fan of exposing babies in the womb to MRIs and ultrasounds unnecessarily. I know women who refuse ultrasounds totally, unless there is a suspected problem, because the technology has not been proven unsafe or safe on the developing baby. But if this could mean the difference between life and abortion? I'm all for it.

(And as an aside, I think I'm actually kind of familiar with the technology of which they speak in the article. The manufacturing plant where I was HR administrator was developing some projects for the government using this technology. Cool stuff!)

SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO
Katie at Kitchen Stewardship is having a October Fest Carnival of Super Foods. Click over to see what the topics will be on which dates. I plan to take a good look at the recipes submitted to see how I can continue to move our family toward more healthy eating.

Amy at Finer Things is one of five hosts for a Fall Festival Blog Style. Go check it out to see who else is hosting and what the themes are - they're not quite what I expected and it looks to be fun!

Happy surfing -

5 comments:

Lori said...

As always, lots of goodies here! Kitchen Stewardship is a new-to-me blog and I'm on my way there to check it out.
A post on dried green beans? Hmm. I'll give that some thought! LOL!
Have a good rest of the weekend!

Unknown said...

Thanks for all of the great information. I have visited several of the recommendations...you have provided a real service. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Thanks-- wanted to pop in-- I've had you bookmarked for some time because of your GREAT links!
-Faith

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Great links here! Sounds like you got a great workout pushing that stroller around... hope you're not too sore!

Abbi said...

Thanks for the link love. A lot of the other ones you mentioned sound interesting too! I had already visited the one you mentioned about corn cob jelly and I came away with exactly the same impression. Making something that tastes like honey sounds neat but using that much white sugar... I don't know.