Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Daybook for May 19, 2010

Outside my window... rain. I love how green everything is getting, but I'd like to finish planting my garden and I know Hubs is anxious to finish his planting, too. I need to check and see if the iris are blooming (irises? irisi?) as they were really, really close.

I am thinking... that since my Reader is cleared out right now, I ought to be able to get to bed early tonight. I really have high hopes!

I am thankful for... Hubs's occupation. Although farming means a LOT of long hours through much of the year, he spent much of the day at home today and Goose and I both really enjoyed having him here. And my mom and I DID go visit my cousin - it was a delightful trip.

From the learning rooms... PE, as Goose is honing her climbing skills - this is the first they've surfaced! Luckily she isn't destructive or anything, just curious. We also learned that deodorant + Care Bears + the cat brush don't mix well. Thankfully everything, including the carpet, seems to have cleaned up.

From the kitchen... Salisbury steak and mashed potatoes; I tried turning Amy's pizza braid into a pizza, and let's say that it really should have been two pizzas. (Kind of like this except in pizza form.) Did I mention that I made tortillas? I filled them with a variation of the chicken chimichangas but realized my tortillas weren't big enough to fold up so I could fry them. They were still really good! We also had refried beans (find my recipe here) and I made nacho cheese sauce with extra for the freezer. Oh, and Chex mix, though it was cool enough that I used the oven, and I forgot to buy pretzels and bagel chips (doh!) so I used cheerios and kix for those. Yup, it's kind of weird, but not terrible.

I am wearing... pink shirt, purple pants. Glasses.

I am creating... another Care Bears crib sheet and I like this tutorial and version much better. I had been eyeing a CB print at Wal-Mart but didn't want to pay $4.44 per yard, and I ended up finding two pieces in the reminant bin that when stitched together, were big enough. I finished the baby gift and sent it off to my friend Patty today.

I am pondering... how close my life is to what I always dreamed it would be, even though it hasn't turned out quite like I expected. God is so good!

I am (re)reading... Say Good Night to Insomnia by Gregg Jacobs. I know, I read it before, but it doesn't have a "sum it up" chapter and I could really have used one. The good news is that it has been four or five nights since I've taken a sleeping pill and I've mostly slept every night! I still wake up too early but am able to doze a bit better than I had been.

I am hoping... for a break in the rain! This bout kind of snuck in, but it looks like it's going to be warming up soon.

I am hearing... silence over the monitor. One of my favorite sounds. :>)

Around the house... I finally got around to replacing a clock battery that needed it, and tried replacing two light bulbs, but when I touched them to unscrew them, they both lit up. Then later, I realized they were out again. Ugh.

One of my favorite things... the smell of rain. It's so clean!

A few plans for the rest of the week... cleaning the old church rectory in preparation for a handful of nuns that come teach the vacation Bible school, Hubs said we're going to a museum on Sunday, last Bible study session on Monday.

A picture thought I am sharing... Goose loves to pick flowers! We picked these at Hubs's grandma's and I picked the phlox on the side of the road. I have since picked a bigger bunch of phlox - I love them. (And I'm not too ashamed to admit that up until a year or two ago, I was certain that they were called "flocks". Isn't that more logical???)

1 comment:

Kim said...

You sure have been busy! I made flour tortillas once and they were so delicious! Why I don't make them now, I don't know.

I should do a daybook post now and then. They're fun to read.