Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Frugal Advent Wreath


Friends, I will try to get a better picture of my Advent wreath. But I really wanted to get this post written and published before Advent is over! :>) Here's how I made it on the cheap, nine years ago:

Go to your local craft store (mine happened to be Hobby Lobby) when they are offering Christmas garland on sale. Purchase a 9' piece that you like. You may be able to tell that mine has berries and silver and gold eucalyptis. Also purchase nine purple candles and three pink ones. Tapers happened to be on sale, many people prefer pillar candles that will last the entire season - your call.

Oddly enough (you may have noticed), taper HOLDERS were not on sale at the time, so I bought votive ones and use a piece of fun-tak (ticky-tak, whatever you call it) to hold them in place. Works great - and this should be out of the reach of little ones anyway.

Optionally, you may also include a white candle, which I place in the middle, not only because the holder does not match the others. :>) It is lit on Christmas and represents Jesus. Jessica has some neat ideas on Advent overall, but I especially like the idea of draping the white candle in blue, which represents Mary. (Scroll to Dec 7 and 8.)

Hack the garland into three more or less equal pieces, and twist the ends together to form a circle. I just bent one end over the other on mine and it's held (quite well) though you may wish to use a piece of wire or something to keep the ends together, depending on your garland.

So, now you have three Advent wreaths, one for your home and two that you can use to bless others. When I gave them as Christmas presents to two friends nine years ago, I also included a booklet with Advent devotions. But that was when I lived near a Catholic store. :>)

Blessings to you this Advent season of preparation - and for more frugal ideas, visit Life As Mom. This is also linked to Proverbs 31 Living's Handmade Christmas.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful wreath. Hope you have a happy and productive Advent Season.

Elisa@ElisaLoves said...

That is pretty. I just came over from Faith & Family. I have been wanting to make an advent wreath, but my Hobby Lobby didn't have the right candle holders for the candles that they had in the right colors. LoL.

Abbi said...

That is very pretty!
THanks for linking it to A Handmade Christmas!
~ Abbi