Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mother's Day Gifts

There's a bit of a story behind what I got my MIL for mother's day. We had lunch at their house last Sunday. My parents were here and came too (it IS nice living two hours from them! and one mile from Hubs's parents!) and my mom and MIL were talking about a serving piece MIL was using. It is a square glass dish that sits in a lovely silver piece.

I was browsing our local thrift store on Friday and this piece caught my eye. It reminded me of the piece MIL used on Sunday. As I was holding it, I remembered how my MIL's mother used to volunteer at the thrift store, and she brought home TONS of treasures and not-so-treasured items over the years. She passed away right about two years ago - Goose was 2 months old, so it was May. I had to buy it! I'm not sure how much it cost, but this piece and a Nebraska drinking glass put together were 45 cents. (I also picked up another stack of vintage-ish craft books. I'm going to have to participate in more giveaways!)

MIL watches Goose two mornings a week while I proofread the local newspaper (and make stops at the thrift store!), and when I picked Goose up, I had to show it to MIL. And then I took it back so I could take a picture of it to show you guys! :>) MIL has a bowl that fits perfectly in it - I was thinking it might hold an 8 or 9 inch round pan but it's actually about 7 1/2 inches in diameter. Anyway, MIL also remembered that she has a similar platter - the top is opaque glass and it sits in a silver base. These three pieces don't match per se, but they look lovely together and coordinate very well. Providence!

My mom? She got a book "Grandmothers Are Very Special People", also from the thrift shop. I only took a quick glance through it but it appeared to be a compilation of short stories, poems, etc. I tried looking it up on Amazon and Paperback Swap to give you all a link and didn't come up with much. (I'll likely do a post on Paperback Swap one of these days, but if you aren't signed up and would like to be, do let me know and I'll get you referred!)

As for me, if it rains, we might get to see Hubs. Mom and I will likely hang out and maybe make a trip to "the city" to hit Wal-Mart. We'll see. I told Hubs the other day that I'd like to get a pair of tennis shoes that I can use for walking for my birthday present and perhaps some recycling bins for Mother's Day - it'll depend on if they'll fit in the cabinet I have in mind.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you out there!

No comments: