Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Any Atari Geeks Out There?

I have been reminiscing a bit lately, remembering all kinds of "this time last year, Goose was [insert action here]" - such as learning how to walk around the 4th of July. (She was a late walker.) About this time last year, I was comparing our life to the Atari game of Adventure. (Link takes you to Wikipedia.)

[Or better yet, click here to play! Though it's a bit tougher using the arrow keys instead of a joystick and I just figured out how to drop something without picking something else up: use the spacebar. Man, I could waste a ton of time there. We didn't need no stinkin' fancy graphics when I was a kid!]

Anyway. Where I actually was going with this - and it isn't necessarily going to make sense unless you have played the game a lot - is that having a newly walking toddler was kind of like having the bat in our house. I'd leave something somewhere, and when I went back for it, it would be gone. Something new might be in its place. And that thing would be somewhere else, and whatever was there would be gone.

I'm hoping *somebody* out there can relate having played Adventure in their glory days - because this comparison really cracks me up. And now I'm off to play Adventure again, and maybe lean on Hubs to hook up our old Atari . . .

4 comments:

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

That is hilarious! I know what you mean... Clara just started walking not too long ago, and I'm going through the same thing!! Too funny!

Kim said...

I remember that game. Was that the one with a dragon that attacks you? My favorite was/is Beamrider. Just loved playing that game! Very satisfying to play, but also a bit unnerving as I rose higher and higher in the levels!

Lenetta said...

That's the one, Kim - though I never remember the dragons' names! :>) Even just playing that first level online, I squealed when I found the dragons. (Partially because the keypad isn't the same as those old black joysticks . . .) Something I found out from reading the wiki on it - almost all the screens are symmetrical within the screen. It never actually occurred to me while playing the real thing.

SnoWhite said...

I loved atari! I used to play pitfall all the time... and bowling was fun too. Oh, and pacman!! what great memories. thanks.